Review of Don't Call Me Kit Kat by K.J. Farnham

 Don't Call Me Kit Kat is a fairly honest story of a middle school girl who gets caught up in ED behaviors. TW: ED, self-harm, suicide, body checking.

I wasn't sure about this book when I started it, but I'm so glad I continued with it. Farnham's voice is a lot like that of one of my favorite authors - Kate Brian. The story had all the drama of middle school tied with the realities that so many young people face of weight and body-checking.

Katie is your typical middle school girl - wants to be part of the popular crowd, compares herself to her big sister, thinks she should look differently than she does. Until one day she discovers one of the popular girls making herself sick in the school bathroom and it starts her on a spiral of her own.

My only concerns of young people reading this book are that some scenes are almost a how-to on eating disorders, but if done as a mother/aunt and daughter/niece buddy read I think it could shed a lot of light on a harmful situation. The author handles recovery with care and discusses the realities of recovery. I wish there had been more of that, but the book was already 300 pages long so I can understand why she would wrap it up in the way she does. 

10/10 would recommend for ages 11+, but make sure if your daughter is reading this you are open to discussion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of Little Women: Mermaid Edition by Megan Lois Whitehill

Welcome!